When Blogging comes to our mind, its either Blogger or WordPress platforms that anyone suggests. But, if one wanted to choose out of these two platforms, then WordPress is the right choice. I’m writing this article mainly for the people who’re looking to transfer their blogger blog to WordPress without losing any search rankings or page rank.
Let us assume here that you’re using a free blogspot blog i.e., xyz.blogspot.com and wanted to migrate from Blogger to WordPress (self-hosted) platform with a custom domain i.e., www.xyz.com
How to Shift from Blogger to WordPress without Losing Rankings?
- If you don’t have a hosting account, then try to purchase a shared hosting either from BlueHost or HostGator. I mainly recommend you go with HostGator as you’ll have all your queries answered quickly.
- Once you purchased the hosting space, you’ll need to install WordPress CMS on your domain. (See instructions).
- Now, from the WordPress dashboard, go to Import > Tools > Blogger (It asks for the plugin installation. Do the same)
- Next, grant WordPress the permission to access your existing Blogger account (click Authorize) and select the blog you wanted to migrate from the list of blogs available on your blogger account.
- Click “Import” and once all the posts & comments have been imported, give it admin rights.
- Next, copy this blogger.php file into your WordPress themes directory (wp-content/themes/theme-name/)
Note: Remember to rename the file from blogger.php.txt to blogger.php once downloaded and then copy it to the theme folder.
- Now, open your WordPress dashboard and go to Pages > Add New Page. Enter “blogger” as the page’s title and URL. Also, select “blogger” from the template drop-down menu in the sidebar and click “Publish”.
- Remember that your WordPress page structure should look like xyz.com/blogger
- Now, replace “9to5blogger.com” in the below code with your WordPress site URL.
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC “-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN”
<html xmlns=”http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml” xml:lang=”en” lang=”en”
<MainPage><link rel=”canonical” href=”https://9to5blogger.com/” /></MainPage>
<link rel=”canonical” href=”https://9to5blogger.com/blogger/?q=<$BlogItemPermalinkURL$>” />
<div style=”border:#ccc 1px solid; background:#eee; padding:20px; margin:80px;”>
<p>This page has moved to a new address.</p>
<!– replace 9to5blogger.com with your WordPress site URL —>
- If you’re using old interface, then open your blogger dashboard > layout > Edit HTML and choose “Revert to Classic blog” else-if you’re using the new blogger interface, then go to Template and at the bottom of the page, click on the “Revert to Classic template”.
- Copy the code from the above step (9) and paste in the “Edit template” box and click “Save template”.
That’s it! From now on, whenever you open any of your old blogspot posts, it will redirect you to the respective WordPress post. As we’re using a permanent 301 redirection, all the Google Juice that your blogspot URLs have will pass to your new pages slowly.
Next Things to Do:
There are a few other settings you’ll have to make in order to complete the Blogger to WordPress process.
- RSS Feeds: Although you move your blogger blog to WordPress, your feed address will not change. So, Go to Blogger Dashboard > Settings > Site Feed and type the address of your new WordPress RSS feed/FeedBurner feed, Bloglines etc…
- Webmaster Tools: Add your WordPress blog to GWT, verify your ownership and then submit an XML sitemap which lists all your website URLs.
- Never Delete the Images: Don’t ever delete the images hosted on your blogger blog as they’ll not be automatically imported into WordPress. Here Blogger serves all your images for free. Leave them as they are. If not, you can upload each and every image into your WordPress and then modify all posts manually.
Follow the WordPress Guide for Beginners once the installation is completed. We’ll also be coming up with a video tutorial explaining how to switch a blog from Blogger to WordPress.