Install WordPress on Linux Using XAMPP Server
We, earlier discussed about installing WordPress using WAMP server on windows. But what if you’re running Linux operating system on your computer? Don’t worry! With XAMPP server, you can install WordPress on a Linux based computer without any problem.
How to Install WordPress on Linux using XAMPP?
- Download XAMPP server to your computer.
- Extract it to /opt folder in your system. To do so, go to terminal and type the below command.
sudo tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.7.3a.tar.gz -C /opt
- Once the folder extracts into your system, the local server should start working. To test it, type the below command in the terminal.
sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start
- And now, type the URL in your browser – http://localhost/ and check whether a welcome message is being displayed.
- If Yes, you’ve done everything perfectly and you can proceed to the next steps. Else, make sure you followed the above steps without any diversions.
- Now you’ve the XAMPP installed on your computer. Next, download the latest WordPress build from WordPress.Org.
- Extract the download ZIP file into /opt/lamp/htdocs/ folder.
- Next, create a database for your WordPress site – http://localhost/phpmyadmin
- Remember to change the file permissions of your wp-config.php to avoid extra work. Type the following command to give it read-write permissions.
sudo chmod a+rw /opt/lampp/htdocs/wordpress/ -R
- Now, navigate to the WordPress installation – http://localhost/wordpress/ and provide the following information.
- Database Name: test (name that you’ve given for your database in step 8)
- Username: root (default)
- Password: blank (can be left empty)
- Database Host: localhost
- Table Prefix: wp_
- In the next step, provide the username and other necessary information and access your WordPress blog.
Isn’t it easy? Although installing WordPress is different from Windows to Linux, administering the WP dashboard is the same.
Happy Blogging 🙂
Incoming search terms:
- xampp wordpress linux
- wordpress xampp linux
Share This Article
Get Free Email Alerts
And, Next Confirm Your Email Subcription