Google has recently rolled out a new search algorithm where they are going to penalize the low-quality exact match domains (EMD in short). This particular algorithm update which is meant to fight micro niche blogs, is said to be one of the worst update till date.
What are Exact Match Domains?
EMD or exact match domains are nothing but the domain names having exact match keywords.
Earlier, these domains used to rank higher in the search engines although with low-quality content considering the exact match keyword is present in the URL. However, with the new EMD algorithm update, all these websites have been penalized and are thrown away from the search index.
How to Recover from EMD (Exact Match Domain) Penalty?
If you’re planning to go for an exact match domain, they rethink about your plan and go with a partial match domain name. Else-if you’re already having an EMD domain and it was penalized by the algorithm, then you should consider reading the below suggestions to get out of EMD penalty.
Although, it’s a time-consuming process, you should patiently follow these tips if you wanted to bring your site out of the penalty.
- Take enough time to re-write the low-quality content on your blog, but this time make sure it meets the quality guidelines. If you’re having trouble rewriting the content, you can hire some freelance writers.
- Sometimes, even if your content is genuine, your blog may look less quality because of your duplicate pages indexed in Google. This includes categories, archives and tags. Simply, add noindex to all these categories, tags and archive pages.
- Try to participate more on Social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and especially Google+ as Google has taken social signals as one of the major SEO factors in 2012. Make sure to increase social visibility of your blog.
- Increase authority backlinks by blog commenting and guest posting on authority sites in your niche.
- Take some time to rework on your blog’s design. Make sure your blog has a unique theme with user-friendly navigation i.e., the user could be able to find what he required with minimal clicks.
- Push your ads below the fold to make your content more visible to the users than the advertisements.
- Finally, if you think its a waste of time to work on your penalized domain, then simply buy a partial match domain name and perform a proper 301 redirection from your old blog to the new one. Next, follow the steps from 1 to 5.
- Once you finish with all these steps, don’t forget to file a reconsideration request to Google using the webmaster tools.
If you’ve any more ideas and/or suggestions on the latest EMD algo update, please don’t hesitate to comment.