How to Install WordPress Manually using cPanel?
WordPress Installation has become easier these days. Most of the web hosting services offer addon script called Fantastico using which the installation of WordPress hardly takes 2 to 3 minutes. Although, this is an easier way to install wordpress, a few enthusiasts would love to install wordpress manually saying that manual installation is more secure than using the Fantastico and so I’ve created this guide for those people.
Prerequisites for Installing WordPress Manually
There are a couple of things you need to prepare with to get started with the manual installation process.
- Latest WordPress software
- FTP access of your hosting account (Hostgator/Bluehost/Dreamhost/Godaddy/Any other)
- cPanel or Control panel access to create database
Create MySQL Database from cPanel
Below is a step-by-step tutorial for creating MySQL database. Carefully follow the guide to avoid any errors.
- Login to your hosting cPanel
- Navigate to Databases section and click on “MySQL Database Wizard”.
- Create a database and click next to create database users.
- Give a username and password > click ‘create user’ button.
- In the next step, check mark the box titled “ALL PRIVILEGES” to grant full privileges to the user you just created. Click ‘next step’ to finish the setup.
Note down the database name, username and password aside as we’ll need those details in the further steps.
WordPress Manual Installation Guide
I hope you’ve already downloaded the latest WordPress software to your computer. Use your FTP client such as FileZilla to upload the extracted folder of WordPress ZIP file. If its your first WordPress installation, you need to upload the zipped WordPress folder contents to public_html directory or-else upload those files to public_html/add-on domain. See how to add a new domain below.
How to Add a new Domain to your Hosting Account?
- Login to your cPanel > Navigate to Domains and click on “Addon Domains”.
- Follow the step-by-step process to finish adding your new domain to your hosting account.
- Do note the directory name as you’ll have to install WordPress on the same directory.
Edit WordPress wp-config file
Once everything is copied to the directory, from the file manager, right click on the wp-config-sample.php file and chose ‘edit’. You’ll have to update the database details you’ve created in the earlier steps.
// ** MySQL settings – You can get this info from your web host ** //
/** The name of the database for WordPress */
/** MySQL database username */
/** MySQL database password */
Replace the highlighted terms with your database information. Click on save changes. Do remember to rename the file wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php.
Execute WordPress Installer Script Manually
With the above steps, we’re done with creating wordpress but we need to install it to make it work.
- Go to http://domainname.com/wp-admin/install.php (replace your actual domain in place of domainname.com)
- Give a Title, username, password and email ID > Click on “Install WordPress” to complete the manual WordPress installation setup.
Once the setup is finished, you can login to your wordpress dashboard by going to http://domainname.com/wp-admin/
That’s it friends! You’ve now manually installed WordPress software for your blog. Feel free to drop your comments if you’ve any queries regarding this process.
Share This Article
Get Free Email Alerts
And, Next Confirm Your Email Subcription