Enable Custom Permalinks in Local WordPress Server
The most preferred method to test new things on a WordPress blog is to install WordPress software on your computer or-else you may end up with a lot of errors in case if anything went wrong. If you’ve already installed it, then you might know that if you change the permalink structure in local WordPress installation, then all your posts and pages would show ‘page not found’ errors. Normally, users won’t like the default permalink structure which looks a bit clumsy. For those users (like me), here is a fix.
How to Set Custom Permalinks in Local WordPress Server?
- Whatever software you use (WAMP, XAMPP or MAMP), you’ll have to turn on the rewrite module in order to fix this issue. To do so, simply find the icon in your taskbar > go to Apache > Apache modules.
- In the sub-menu of Apache modules, click on the module named ‘rewrite_module’. This would enable the custom permalinks in your local WordPress installation.
- Simply, go to your WordPress dashboard > Settings > Permalinks and choose your preferred WordPress permalink structure.
- Click on the WAMP/XAMPP/MAMP icon located in your taskbar > go to Apache and from the sub-menu, click on the file named ‘httpd.conf’. Alternatively, you can browse C:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.2.22\conf and find this file.
- Open the file in any text editor (say notepad).
- Find the following line
#LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
- Now, simply removed the pound sign (#) at the beginning of this line so that it looks like the below one.
LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so
- Save the httpd.conf file as it is.
That’s it! You’ll now be able to change your permalink structure like you desired.
Note: You can use any of the above two methods to enable custom permalinks in your WAMP, XAMPP or MAMP server. So choose the one you’re comfortable with.
Incoming search terms:
- How To Enable Custom Permalinks In WordPress Local Server Environment mamp
Share This Article
Get Free Email Alerts
And, Next Confirm Your Email Subcription