Adding different or unique meta tags for every post will make your blogger blog perform better in the search engines. WordPress blogs have got some plugins that will provide the option to add unique meta descriptions to each and every post. But, this is not the case with Blogger until now. Just recently, Blogger has introduced the option of adding meta description tags in all the blogger posts.
Benefits of Adding Meta Description Tags for a Blog
Google will use this meta description as a snippet while displaying our website or blog in the search engine result pages just below the title. In technical terms, a meta description tag tells Google what your page is actually about.
Hence, adding different meta description tags will help in optimizing your blog for Search Engines.
How to Add Meta Tags to Each and Every Blog Posts in Blogger?
- Go to draft.blogger.com using your blogger account.
- Then Go to Settings > Search Preferences.
- Chose option “Yes” under “Enable search description” and enter the meta description for your homepage.
- Save Changes. By doing so, meta description option will be enabled for all your internal blogger posts.
Note: This setting won’t work mostly in custom blogger templates and so we’ll have to insert some code to enable it. Go to Template > Edit HTML > Proceed and copy the below lines of code and paste it just below the <head> tag.
<b:if cond=’data:blog.metaDescription != ""’>
<meta expr:content=’data:blog.metaDescription’ name=’description’/>
- Save your blogger template.
- Now, you can add meta description for every blog post. You’ll find a new option In the post editor for “Search Description”.
Tip: Limit your description to 150 characters or 15 keyword phrases for better indexing.